The VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research (IRC, Ghent, Belgium) is currently looking for a Bioinformatician (BSc/MSc) to join the Cell Death and Inflammation Unit (headed by Prof. Vandenabeele and Prof. Bertrand) to organize and analyze data obtained from various types of experiments, including:
- Transcriptomics analysis
- Single-cell RNAseq
- Microbiome analysis
- Genetic and pharmacological screens
- MS-based phosphoproteomics screens
The candidate will also be asked to perform evolutionary phylogenetic analysis, to write scripts for the analysis of bioimaging data and to prepare figures and graphs for manuscripts.
The VIB-UGent Center for Inflammation Research is a highly international research environment, focusing on the biology of inflammation and the mechanisms of inflammatory diseases. The person will be associated with the Unit for Cell Death and Inflammation, but also be embedded in the Bioinformatics Core Facility to stay informed and instructed about the newest developments.
Candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in bioinformatics are strongly encouraged to apply, but the position is also open to candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in other life science fields with equivalent experience in bioinformatics and data analysis.
- Able to work independently and well performing in a team as well
- Organized and respecting deadlines
- Good verbal and written communication skills in English
- Programming skills in Python and/or R
- Keen interest in sequencing data processing and analysis
- Interest in evolutionary phylogenetics
- Exciting opportunity to work with highly motivated teams in an international research environment
- Opportunity to further develop your skills and be guided by experts in fields of sequencing and data analysis
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise
- Open-ended contract (Ghent University)
How to apply?
- Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, a motivation letter describing your interests, and contact details of referees (if available).
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Veronique.Vandevoorde@irc.vib-ugent.be
- The University of Ghent is a sustainable, family-friendly organization, which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.
“In cell death we trust”
Prof. P. Vandenabeele
Prof. M. Bertrand