About the institute and research infrastructure
At VIB it’s our mission to conduct pioneering research in life sciences to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of life and to translate our research findings into products and solutions that benefit society. We believe that breakthrough research in the molecular mechanisms of life will lead to a better quality of life, economic growth and sustainable societal well-being.
The recent opening of the new VIB Agro-Incubator site will foster the current AgBio/AgTech ecosystem, support start-ups, and catalyse new developments in the sector by providing services to industry and academia. Focus areas are sustainable agriculture, climate change mitigation and adaptation, biological crop protection, and digital farming. VIB wants to deploy the site’s high-tech facilities as an attraction pool for agricultural innovation.
To service, adapt and maintain our fully automated plant phenotyping systems in the greenhouse, we are looking for a skilled automation engineer. The main functionalities of these systems include automated transport, irrigation and image acquisition. The work will also cover the follow-up of a brand new installation and the implementation and testing of the latest technologies, including wireless sensors and vision systems.
Being a knowledge center, incubating new AgBio companies, the candidate will be an important peer to provide automation, test new developments and support the present high-tech facilities, to bring the Agro-Incubator at the forefront of new innovations in agriculture, both under controlled conditions as in the field.
- Bachelor (Industrial Engineer) or master in Automation, Electrotechnics or Electromechanics; Automation Engineer, Master in bioscience engineering, computer science, bioinformatics or equivalent
- Proficiency in at least one programming language is required (e.g. Python, Java, ..)
- Skills in PLC programming is a plus
- Research minded and solution-oriented attitude, with an interest in plants
- Fluent in English, with good communication skills
- Able to work both independently as well as in a team
- An open-ended contract
- A working climate, in which trust and commitment are essential
- A stimulating and supportive environment with opportunities for personal development
- Various training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
Make sure your application includes:
- A detailed CV
- A one-page motivation letter
A first review of applications will start immediately. Applications are welcome until the position is filled.