VIB is an excellence-based research institute dedicated to high-impact life sciences research and world-class technology transfer. VIB Scientists pursue basic molecular life-science research with a strong focus on translating scientific breakthroughs into novel technologies, new diagnostics, innovative medicines and improved crops and nutritional products, through close cooperation with industry. Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
VIB is currently looking for a qualified and motivated Single Cell Technology Specialist.
The Technology Watch Team at VIB is continuously analyzing the potential of emerging and disruptive technologies to advance research at VIB. Technologies of interest are subsequently evaluated and developed alongside VIB PIs and expertise units/core facilities in Tech Watch’s Technology Innovation Lab.
In early 2018, VIB Tech Watch launched the Single Cell Accelerator (SCA), an institutional program to ensure that VIB remains at the forefront of the cutting-edge Single Cell field. The SCA focuses on the evaluation, implementation and development of breakthrough single-cell technologies. Areas of great interest include scCRISPR screens, spatial omics and emerging single cell sequencing technologies.
To this end, we are looking for a motivated Single Cell Technology Specialist to work with the VIB PIs. In this role, you will be actively implementing and exploring the potential of current and novel single cell sequencing technologies (e.g. CropSeq) in collaboration with biotech companies which have partnered with VIB’s Single Cell Accelerator.
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences, preferably with a Sequencing technology focus
- Hands-on experience with Single Cell Sequencing technology platforms is considered a plus
- You have basic (or advanced) experience in Bioinformatics
- Strong hands-on lab skills and troubleshooting experience
- Strong expertise in experimental design and superb note keeping skills
- Strong project management skills
- Strong capability to work independently as well as in a team
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing, networking, negotiation and problem solving skills
- Designing and conducting single cell experiments
- Evaluating / benchmarking / optimizing novel single cell technologies and protocols
- Performing bioinformatic single cell data analysis (UNIX, R and/or Python)
- Co-ordination with multiple stakeholders both internally (e.g. multiple VIB groups) and externally (e.g. companies)
- Reporting results to the stakeholders
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online. Applications for this position should be written in English and include:
- A 1-page cover letter.
- A 2 page CV, summarizing the applicant’s career, including a list of publications and contact information for three referees.
Applications (cover letter + CV) should be submitted as a single pdf file.