Doctoral scholarship holder to work on microglia biology and neuroinflammation in neurodegenerative diseases using bioinformatic tools and integration of multi-omics datasets
The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology, Belgium, in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder to work on microglia biology and neuroinflammation in neurodegenerative diseases using bioinformatic tools and integration of multi-omics datasets. The Mancuso lab uses CRISPR tools, iPSC and humanized mouse technology to unravel the role of microglia in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis on microglia biology in the context of brain disease.
- Microglia and neuroinflammation play a central role in Alzheimer’s disease (AD) and other neurodegenerative disorders. You will investigate how genetic alterations that are linked to increased risk or protection against AD modify microglia function in vitro and in vivo. You will work with unique datasets from a variety of omics platforms, from diverse in vitro and in vivo human microglia systems, with the final goal of elucidating the molecular and cellular mechanisms by which disease genetic risks manifests.
- You will publish scientific articles related to the research project.
We are looking for a highly motivated, enthusiastic and critical candidate with a strong background in bioinformatics and data analysis, particularly transcriptomics and/or proteomics data.
- You hold a master’s degree in bioinformatics, related disciplines or equivalent through experience.
- Prior experience with programming in R or Python, and with data analysis of –omics data is considered an advantage.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Proficient in verbal and written English.
- Ability to summarize data extracted from literature and to define research objectives.
- Passion for science, self-motivation, flexibility, and team spirit.
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is 1 October 2021 or as soon as possible after that date.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will work at the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology in a world-class research environment with state of the art research facilities.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can only apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 9 August 2021 (by midnight Brussels time).
- More details via the link https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/jobs/vacancies/academic-staff/RenzoMancusolab
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. Renzo Mancuso (email@example.com) or Sofie Meulenbergs (firstname.lastname@example.org)