As an entrepreneurial research institute, VIB’s mission is to translate scientific breakthroughs into applications for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and agricultural industries. VIB’s Innovation and Business (VIB2) team has been highly successful in this regard and the entrepreneurial approach has resulted in the creation of innovative start-up companies and high-value therapeutic licensed products. VIB2, located at the headquarters in Ghent, offers a one-year internship in tech transfer (TT).
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated candidate who is eager to obtain practical experience in the different disciplines of tech transfer being intellectual property, business development, new ventures, and drug discovery. The candidate will get trained by a dynamic and multidisciplinary experienced team and apply the acquired knowledge in a multitude of real-life cases across a wide range of scientific topics. In addition, one will be able to attend general TT events and meetings, contribute to specific activities in the team, and independently execute analysis and draft reports. In particular, you will acquire an initial level of knowledge in patent systems, freedom to operate searches, and drafting of patent applications and proof-of-concept projects. Also, you will obtain a basic understanding of drafting and negotiating the terms and conditions of various agreements and contribute to background research on incubating spin-off projects. At last, you will get trained on drug discovery, different phases of drug development, value inflection points, and the “valley of death”.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic candidate with a high level of independence, willingness to learn, and openness to new experiences.
- You hold a Ph.D. in the Life Sciences or agriculture.
- You have a strong interest in technology transfer and preferably attended a tech transfer course or equivalent in the past.
- You must have good, open communication skills and are fluent in English, both oral and written.
- The interactions with many different partners require very good interpersonal skills.
- An ambition to ‘do what it takes’.
- A one-year internship in tech transfer
- A creative and dynamic scientific culture with a great drive towards innovation.
- An entrepreneurial setting where curiosity-driven research is matched with product or application-oriented R&D activities.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure (scan QR code) and include a cover letter and detailed CV, including the contact information (name, institution, phone number, and e-mail address) of 3 references.