At VIB it’s our mission to conduct pioneering research in life sciences to gain a better understanding of the mechanisms of life and to translate our research findings into products and solutions that benefit society. We believe that breakthrough research in the molecular mechanisms of life will lead to a better quality of life, economic growth, and sustainable societal well-being.
To support its scientific community with the further digitalization, the center-spanning explosion of ‘big’ biological data sets, and the fast-emerging need for high-performance computing solutions, VIB will set up a Research Data Service Facility (RDSF). This central unit will work with an expert resources pool via an agile, project-based format and fully integrate all ICT and Bio-IT aspects. RDSF will act as an institutional vehicle that masters various data-related infrastructural challenges that come along with data-driven life sciences.
We, therefore, are looking for a Data Center operations lead with experience in people management, technical support as well as data center operations, which covers the scope of capacity planning, racks delivery, installation, decommission, and incident management. This role is responsible for managing a team of 24/7 operations to provide overall datacenter support in hardware and software of server and network equipment. The successful candidate will also guide the improvement of processes and procedures on a continuous basis, and manage team and staff performance.
- Supervising maintenance, installation, and updates of data center systems, for both physical and software
- Establishing the rules related to data accessibility and distribution
- Establishing the parameters for data entry or storage of customers’ data
- Ensuring the safety and protection of customers’ data
- Managing the storage and distribution of data
- Backing up data
- Maintenance of equipment
- Creating planning for capacity changes
- Upgrading hardware or software used by the institute
- Researching new technologies to be utilized in the institute
- Presenting new tools that could be used to improve efficiency or cutting costs
- Ensuring a safe and secure facility to protect the systems and power configuration
- Planning for any probable disruptions, problems, and emergency
- Providing support for technical teams
- Troubleshooting technical or IT related issues
- Configuring, managing, and analyzing automated systems utilized in the institute
- Ensuring precautions are set in place whenever power outages or malicious attacks occurred
- Ensuring the operations are in compliance with the regulations and laws
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent experience
- Experience with leading and managing IT infrastructures across various technologies
- Strong Analytical skills
- Strong Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Project management skills
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.