Junior Postdoctoral researcher: Dissecting plant metabolism and jasmonate signalling through interactomics technologies
About the lab
The group of Specialized Metabolism (https://www.psb.ugent.be/groups/specialized-metabolism), led by Prof. Alain Goossens at the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology, is looking to recruit 1 junior postdoctoral researcher. The Goossens lab focuses on the characterization of plant signalling pathways that steer the responses to stress situations, in particular mediated by the phytohormone jasmonate and leading to the biosynthesis of high-value bioactive metabolites in crop, medicinal and model plants. With the acquired knowledge the Goossens lab aspires to create novel tools for plant metabolic engineering.
The Department of Plant Systems Biology (PSB) belongs to the Flanders Institute for Biotechnology (VIB) and the Ghent University (UGent), both equal opportunity employers. PSB is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned Plant Biotech campus in the lovely and lively city of Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to integrate genetics, genomics and bio-computing to unravel plant biological processes and to further translate this knowledge into value for society. Please visit us at www.psb.ugent.be for more information.
The candidate will take up a central role in the usage of our different cutting-edge interactomics platforms to study jasmonate signalling and plant metabolism. Our in-house developed interactomics platforms allow visualising both protein-protein (Y2H-seq and TurboID) and protein-metabolite (LiP-MS) interactions and are intensively being employed to unravel the molecular mechanisms behind plant metabolite biosynthesis, perception, signalling and activity.
The candidate will actively participate in the running and continuous optimisation of these platforms as well as in the (inter)national collaborations of the Goossens group that they capacitate. In parallel, the candidate will personally follow up on some of the most exciting leads generated in our in-house interactomics screens to reveal novel fundamental aspects of plant specialized metabolism and hormone signalling.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Bio-engineering, Plant Biotechnology or equivalent
- Strong interest and hands-on experience in proteomics, interactomics, RNA-sequencing and other NGS workflows is an asset
- Experience in guidance of master and/or PhD students is an asset
- You have maximal 3 years of postdoc experience
- You’re fascinated by plant hormone signalling and metabolism
- You can take initiative, function well in a team, breathe enthusiasm and have a hands-on mentality, perseverance and critical mind-set
- Proficient use of the English language for both oral and written communication is a must
- A full-time post-doc position in the Goossens lab for 2 years, with a possibility to extension to 5 years
- Access to state-of-the-art tools and infrastructure within an excellence-based research institute
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment
- Various training opportunities to broaden your expertise and skills
How to apply?
If you are interested in unravelling plant metabolism via interactomics technologies, please complete the online application procedure and include
- a detailed CV
- a one-page summary of past research activities (e.g. in PhD or postdoc projects)
- a letter describing your fascination for the topic and the Goossens lab
- the contact information of two referees
The position is available from May 1, 2022, onwards. Applications are welcome until the position is filled.
Applications by email will not be considered.