VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to its success. VIB is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders.
VIB scientists study the molecular mechanisms that regulate the functions of the human body, plants, and microorganisms. Such mechanistic research leads to innovative insights into the normal and abnormal/pathological life processes, with the potential to use these insights to develop novel therapeutics, diagnostics, agricultural applications, and technologies.
The VIB Core Facilities constitute the centralized scientific research infrastructure of the institute and allow scientists access to high-end and innovative technologies. The VIB Core Facilities Program comprises 10 state-of-the-art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on one of the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven, or Brussels (https://vib.be/core-facilities). The role of these core facilities is to support the 1500 researchers at VIB with their expertise. Within the core facilities we have over 80 staff members and currently, we are looking for a project manager for the Proteomics Core, located in Ghent.
The VIB Proteomics Core provides contemporary mass spectrometry-based proteomics services to VIB and non-VIB scientists (both academia and industry). The Proteomics Core started in 2005 as a spin-off service unit of the Gevaert lab and is located in the VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology. Since 2015, under the guidance of core head Prof. Francis Impens, the core has evolved from a research-oriented facility to a service-oriented platform and has become a reference center for proteome analyses in Flanders and beyond, as witnessed by its involvement in EPIC-XS. Routine services include identification and quantification of proteins in complex samples and mapping of protein modifications and interaction partners. The team counts eight staff members, runs five state-of-the-art mass spectrometers, and completes more than 150 service projects/year. This requires coordination and intense follow-up, and to deal with increasing demands for proteome analyses, we are hiring a technology expert.
- Direct oversight on day-to-day operations of Proteomics Core projects
- Daily management of the Proteomics Core team
- Responsible for project intake and final reporting
- Together with the core head, act as consultancy point for Proteomics Core projects in the institute and beyond
- Together with the core head, identify novel needs with respect to both routine services and innovative developments and implementations thereof
- Report and communicate on ongoing business to the core head, VIB management, and the community
- Expert in mass spectrometry-based proteomics, Ph.D. level or similar by experience
- Background in life science research
- Mindset for supporting and enabling science of other research labs through offering of expertise
- Substantial experience in managing multi-stakeholder scientific projects
- Team player with excellent networking, communication, and people management skills
- Technology minded
- Superb analytical skills
- Eager to learn and adapt in a fast-evolving environment
- Diplomatic and willing and able to take on a leading role
- Good English skills, both oral and written
- A full-time, open-ended contract. The position will be Gent-based, but occasional trips to collaborating labs at the different VIB Centers will be required.
- A professional and stimulating working environment
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Comprehensive social security, including pension scheme and health care program
How to apply?
We are looking for candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to VIB’s commitment to diversity and excellence.
Please direct inquiries about the position and suggestions of potential candidates to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be submitted online via Jobsoid. Please, provide your CV, 2 reference contacts, and a motivation letter.