VIB is an entrepreneurial research institute that focuses on basic research in the life sciences. VIB is dedicated to translating its scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications by means of patenting inventions, partnering with industry and setting up start-up companies. VIB has a long track record that is internationally recognized.
VIB is funded by the Flemish government and works in close partnership with five Flemish universities – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel and Hasselt University. The link between basic research and valorisation has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
VIB’s Innovation & Business team consists of IP, business development, new venture and discovery science professionals supported by a skilled administrative and paralegal team. The team is highly complementary and works closely together to create value out of the scientific inventions from the institute.
In order to further strengthen and expand its activities, VIB is looking to expand its paralegal team by recruiting a Contract Manager (m/v) for its Innovation and Business team.
VIB scientists engage in many collaborative projects with their fellow scientists at other research institutions and universities. For many of these collaborations, different types of agreements are negotiated and executed: material transfer agreements, research collaboration agreements, joint ownership agreements, grant agreements, etc.
As a Contract Manager at VIB you will be active in the drafting, reviewing, finalizing the negotiation and starting the follow-up of different types of agreements:
- After an initial negotiation by a business development manager or a new ventures manager on the terms of a given agreement, you will draft, review and finalize the terms of the agreement based on either template available in the team or based on a draft agreement received by the counterparty.
- You will follow up on the communication with the counterparty and will ensure timely execution of the agreements. You will communicate on the status of agreements to the relevant stakeholders (counterparty, VIB’s scientists, I&B colleagues)
- You will escalate any issues coming up in the negotiation process to the relevant I&B manager. Complex agreements are followed up in teamwork. You can become proficient in specific areas of legal matters and administrative flows related to state-of-the-art molecular research relating to human samples (e.g. GDPR,…).
- You will ensure proper archiving of executed agreements and entry into VIB’s contract database.
- You will pro-actively maintain and improve VIB’s template agreements.
- You will be part of the Innovation & Business team to take part in improving the organisation where possible.
- Degree & experience:
- master degree in legal or paralegal, or master's degree in any type of STEM education
- Interest in life sciences or scientific research practice towards societal impact
- professional experience with contractual work or similar positions is an asset
- professional experience in a service industry is an asset
- you are fluent in English and in Dutch
- you can work efficiently with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, including Microsoft Teams, Microsoft Onenote and Sharepoint;
- Personal traits:
- you are well organised and a good communicator
- you are a team player but can work independently and flexibly
- you are detail-oriented, prepared to take ownership of dossiers to finish them in good order
- A professional and stimulating work environment in a vibrant team-setting
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise
- An attractive compensation package based on expertise and experience
- we offer a full-time position as part of a dynamic, horizontally managed team
How to apply ?
Interested in this function? Apply online now !