The Laboratory of Tumor Inflammation and Angiogenesis, headed by Prof. Massimiliano Mazzone, is embedded in an international and multidisciplinary research environment of the VIB Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), located on Campus Gasthuisberg of the University of Leuven. The mission of the lab is to perform cutting-edge research to unravel the immunosuppressive cues of the tumor microenvironment (TME), and whenever suitable, exploit these insights to develop novel therapeutic or diagnostic strategies. De facto, the research topics span the fields of tumor and inflammation, focusing on the functional characterization of the hypoxia-response, a key environmental cue of the TME, on the consequent involvement of tumor metabolism in dictating the immune cell landscape, and how the manipulation of novel identified immunosuppressive axis within the tumor impacts on function and phenotypic skewing of immune cells. To gain groundbreaking insights, we exploit advanced metabolomics (13C tracing, …), gene manipulation (supporting new ways for fast transgenic mouse generation and gene editing), and pharmacologic approaches in mice to study immune metabolic functions. Our work is published in high-impact journals with strong international recognition and top-notch collaborations within academia and industry (two spin-offs, Oncurious and Montis Biosciences, founded in 2017 and 2019, respectively).
As a Staff Scientist, you will closely collaborate with the head of the lab and will contribute to writing grants to obtain non-dilutive funding to further expand the team and the research efforts. You are willing to support and contribute to several research projects in the lab, have a collaborative spirit, and are eager to liaise with clinicians, pathologists, computational biologists, but also technology transfer experts, and industrial collaborators. You need to be able to organise and troubleshoot your work independently, document it thoroughly, and communicate results and experiences with the team in a transparent and professional manner. The successful candidate should thrive in small-team environments where self-sufficiency, initiative, and flexibility are key and lines of communication are short. You will join a young international team and you will contribute to a collaborative, interactive, diligent, and science-driven culture in order to meet milestones set by the lab head.
Profile and skills
We are looking for a highly motivated, well-organized, and dynamic candidate with a high level of independence and creative thinking.
- You hold a Ph.D. degree in Biomedical, Biological Sciences in cancer biology, several years of postdoc experience, and an excellent (preferably international) academic track record with high-impact publications in the field of cancer biology and/or immunotherapy.
- You have a strong interest in translational research in the immuno-oncology space.
- You must have good, open communication skills and are willing to support the other scientists on the team.
- Fluency in English, both oral and written, is mandatory. Mainly scientific writing skills in English are very important
- Team player, applying your expertise to drive projects within a small team.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills that you can put to use within the team as well as with collaborators.
- Meticulous, independent, and self-motivated.
- Keen to take on responsibilities.
- A dynamic and challenging research work environment where quality, professionalism and team spirit are encouraged.
- A broad professional network (academic, clinical, and industrial) in a national and international setting.
- The ability to learn, work with, and become an expert in translational tumor immunology.
- The possibility to be at the start of scientifically cutting-edge and society relevant projects based on multidisciplinary and international collaborations.
- The opportunity to be part of an international, young, and dynamic team and provide a meaningful contribution to immuno-oncology research.
- An open-ended contract.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure – see VIB jobsite https://jobs.vib.be/j/46383/st... - and include:
- A detailed CV, including a list of your scientific publications.
- An elaborate cover letter describing your motivation.
Applications sent by email will not be considered.
For more information, please contact email@example.com
VIB is an entrepreneurial and vibrant non-profit research institute in Flanders-Belgium with a clear focus on groundbreaking research in life sciences. The VIB-KULeuven Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) (https://www.vibcancer.be), is one of the research departments of VIB located at the University Hospital Campus in Leuven, Belgium. CCB hosts 13 research groups and represents about 200 international researchers and administrative and technical collaborators. The focus of the CCB is to unravel the molecular basis of cancer, and whenever suitable, exploit these insights to develop novel therapeutic or diagnostic strategies.