About the lab
VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, currently encompassing more than 1900 scientists located in 5 partner universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position at VIB is intended to run spatial biology projects in close collaboration with KU Leuven and the European Spatial Biology Center (ESBC NV). The ESBC has recently kick-started as a service provider for spatial biology technologies at scale, by offering services to large-scale projects and providing key biological insights to its customers.
To strengthen the spatial biology services in Leuven, VIB wishes to recruit an enthusiastic and energetic technician to work on spatial biology projects. In this role, you will be running wet-lab spatial (multi-)omics methods, mostly for industrial (and academic) clients, and will be involved in spatial technology development projects.
You will be responsible for setting up, executing and reporting of the experiments. As such you will make a significant contribution to help answering key fundamental biological questions with high impact in their respective fields (e.g. neuroscience, oncology, plant sciences).
- Perform wet-lab spatial (multi-)omics experiments using custom protocols and novel workflows
- Support spatial biology method development projects
- Set up, execute, and report on customer projects according to defined timelines, while following industry and regulatory standards, and standard operating procedures
- Engage with customers and collaborators during the running of a project
We are looking for a lab technician who is well-organized and dynamic with a high level of independence and creative thinking:
- Bachelor in Laboratory Technology or equivalent through experience
- Motivation and ambition to make a personal contribution to spatial biology/omics
- Hands-on experience with and knowledge of histology, microscopy, and image data analysis is a plus
- Experience with setting-up experimental workflows using existing methods is a plus
- Experience with single-cell and spatial (multi-)omics technologies is a plus
- Ability to learn, understand and implement novel/complex molecular biology techniques appearing in the field
- High level of work accuracy, organizational skills, and flexible nature
- Team player who likes to work in a multidisciplinary (international) team
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills
- Desire and willingness to work at the interface of industry and academia
- Full-time employment for an indefinite period
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A stimulating (international, multidisciplinary) environment at the interface of industry and academia, where agility, quality, professionalism, and team spirit are encouraged
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact, state-of-the-art projects
- The opportunity to be part of a young and dynamic team making a meaningful contribution to science
How to apply?
Interested candidates are asked to apply online.