VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to its success. VIB is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders.
The VIB Core Facilities Program constitute the centralized scientific research infrastructure of the institute and allow scientists access to high-end and innovative technologies. The VIB Core Facilities Program comprises 10 state-of-the art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on one of the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven or Brussels (https://vibcoreprogram.sites.vib.be/en). The role of these core facilities is to support the 1500 researchers at VIB with their expertise. Within the core facilities we have over 80 staff members
Currently, the Bioimaging Core plans to expand its BioImage Informatics service with a candidate, who will work closely together with researchers and with staff of the imaging core facilities. The goal of such a partnership is to make sure that imaging experiments for spatial applications are planned, designed and performed in a way that the data produced is suitable for subsequent image processing and image analysis. The team also interacts with the computer vision scientists in research groups working on specialized image analysis problems in spatial biology applications. This close relationship will allow the integration of cutting-edge image analysis solutions into the service portfolio.
- The main goal is to help the core facilities build successful image analysis pipelines for spatial omics applications. These pipelines will be assembled from existing state-of-the-art solutions and buildings block you will program yourself.
- Network the different and currently distributed image analysis and spatial analysis resources of the cores and research labs.
- Collaborate with the VIB bioinformatics community to develop and implement algorithms that solve specific image processing problems in the technology field of spatial proteomics and transcriptomics.
- Build image analysis expertise and assist researchers with their data analysis problems
- Master or PhD in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering, or a related area
- Solid programming experience is required
- Experience with applied machine learning (particularly in computer vision) is a major plus
- Basic knowledge of biology is a plus
- Experience with large scale computing/cluster computing/big data technologies is a plus
- Mindset for supporting and enabling science of other research labs through offering of expertise
- Team player with excellent networking and communication skills
- Technology minded
- Superb analytical skills
- Eager to learn and adapt in a fast-evolving environment
- Good English skills, both oral and written
- An internationally recognized research organization with a stimulating working environment
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Various opportunities to broaden your expertise and develop your career
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
How to apply?
We are looking for candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to VIB’s commitment to diversity and excellence.
Please direct inquiries about the position and suggestions of potential candidates to Saskia.Lippens@ugent.vib.be. Applications must be submitted online via Jobsoid. Please, provide your CV, 2 reference contacts and a motivation letter.