Nanobodies are small antigen-binding fragments derived from heavy chain-only antibodies in camelids. They are used as molecular tools in a wide variety of applications, from therapeutics to structural biology. Currently, the information on the amino acid sequence of nanobodies is dispersed in academia and industry worldwide.
In this project, you will build a curated Nanobody Data Base (NanoDB.org) that collects the sequences and the properties of properly validated nanobodies. Similar to the key role of the PDB in structural biology, a searchable NanoDB would open up the use of nanobodies as annotated, validated and reproducible research tools by the global research community in diverse disciplines.
The VIB-VUB center for Structural Biology is looking for a highly motivated database developer with domain experience in molecular biology and bioinformatics or related fields. Supported by an International Advisory board of Nanobody experts, the successful candidate will develop a searchable and curated database to share the sequences and the properties of Nanobodies. The candidate will team up with one full-time Biocurator with specific expertise in the Nanobody( field to deliver an operational database containing several thousand Nanobody(R) sequences within two years.
- The candidate should have (preferably extensive) experience working with Python, especially development of databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL) and web-based frameworks (e.g. Django).
- Experience working with large and complex scientific datasets is an advantage.
- Scientific background in any of the following areas is an advantage: Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Genomics.
- While a scientific background is not an absolute requirement for the position, the candidate should be interested in working in an academic/research environment.
- Design, development, and deployment of modern searchable, curable and extendable database with web access
- Debugging, testing, troubleshooting.
- PhD or Master's degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or a related discipline, or comparable education and experience in developing modern scientific data applications.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills in English.
- Self-starter skills and able to work independently, while being able to interact effectively with the members of the task force.
- Competitive salary package for at least 2 years
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core computing
- A stimulating and international research environment
- A strong and dynamic network of international collaborators
As part of the VIB-VUB Center for Structural Biology and VIB, the applicant will benefit from established collaborations and access to centralized facilities with expertise in bioinformatics, Nanobody technology, genomics, functional genomics and cell biology, proteomics, cutting-edge microscopy, structural biology, and technology development.
VIB provides a highly interactive environment and ample training opportunities for its researchers. The VIB-VUB Center for Structural Biology is located in Brussels, the capital of Europe, offering an International and culturally and historically rich, and ethnically diverse environment. Remote work can be considered.
Starting date: as soon as possible
Submit 1) cover letter detailing your background and interest in this position, 2) a full CV and 3) at least two references (with name, email, address, phone number). Applications will be considered until a suitable candidate is found.