About the Lab
The lab of Jeroen Raes (VIB, KU Leuven) is home to an enthusiastic, diverse and international group of researchers in the field of gut microbial ecology and its clinical applications. Beyond our work in metagenomic analysis using in-house bioinformatics as well as clinical experience in cohort studies, the lab has in recent years developed research lines in anaerobic microbiology and ecology of colon bacteria in order to study their physiology, function and interactions.
We are looking for a Senior Research Manager to assist in running the lab. You will report directly report to the lab head and help with the conception, coordination, running and reporting of the different research programs. The lab has a strong foundation of significant population and patient cohorts and microbiome data, (semi-)automated microbiomics and fermentation infrastructure, as well as a large internal gut isolate culture collection, allowing programs to run at internationally competitive levels.
Specifically, you will:
- Set-up and manage research projects, identify funding opportunities, and contribute to grant writing.
- Supervise and guide master students, PhD candidates, and (junior) postdocs. Provide biological background for data analysts. Formulate research hypotheses, design experiments as well as analytical strategies. Contribute to interpretation of findings and support/drive preparation of manuscripts.
- Design and manage clinical as well as large-scale bio-sampling efforts. Contribute to protocol development and application for ethical approval. Assure GDPR compliance. Evaluate and improve sampling logistics and data collection strategies.
- Identify novel research lines, technologies, and potential academic/industrial research partners with relevant complementary expertise to broaden the lab’s research horizon.
- Follow up on national as well as international collaborations. Represent the lab at meetings. Facilitate exchange of expertise and data. Coordinate and perform scientific reporting.
- Optimise lab-wide processes and workflows. Ensure consolidation of know how and continuity of lab expertise. Be the ‘memory’ of the lab.
- Multiple years of microbiome research experience in academia or industry, a PhD or similar through work experience. You are a scientist above everything.
- A high level of independence and drive, a keen eye for innovation
- High work ethics and a dedication to quality
- Problem solving skills and a healthy dose of pragmaticism
- Excellent writing skills.
- Excellent people skills and great satisfaction in making young lab members succeed.
VIB-KULeuven is an exciting, interdisciplinary research institute with excellent facilities and leading research groups in e.g. gastroenterology, oncology, immunology, microbiology & virology, clinical genetics/-omics, molecular biology and translational research. The Raes lab has a long track record in microbiota research and prides itself on excellent publication records for a majority of lab members.
We are located on the Gasthuisberg Hospital campus of the KU Leuven (Fac. of Medicine) and has on-site robotic sample processing, high-throughput computing resources as well as next-generation sequencing, metabolomics and anaerobic microbiology facilities.
You can build upon significant lab resources as well as interaction with a multidisciplinary team of students and postdocs.
Interested? Check out our laboratory and publications on www.raeslab.org or on https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Ff13MYIAAAAJ
How to apply?
Interested candidates should apply online. Additional requirements:
- please upload a letter stating your reasons for the interest in the current position.
- please add the contact details of two references of people you collaborated with professionally for at least 8 months.
Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.