VIB is a non-profit life sciences research institute located in Flanders, Belgium. Through a close partnership with all Flemish universities and a solid funding program, VIB unites the talents of 90 research groups clustered in nine thematic research centers. About 1,800 scientists conduct frontier basic research on the molecular mechanisms that are responsible for the functioning of the human body, plants, and microorganisms. To enable its scientists to move forward the boundaries of our knowledge, VIB provides a stimulating environment where talent can excel, including institutional core facilities, early access to emerging technologies, and transformative training at all levels of the organization. Through its technology transfer activities, VIB converts research results into products for the benefit of society. VIB strives for a respectful and supportive working environment and a culture of belonging for diverse talents in the organization.
VIB aspires to further build critical mass, capabilities, and impact in computational and quantitative biology and is setting up a new research center in this field. The institute seeks to appoint a center director to set up and lead the center.
Center Director - Research Professor for the VIB Center for Computational and Quantitative Life Sciences
The new VIB Center will be set up in partnership with the Flemish Universities. It will drive the quantitative study and (predictive) modeling of the physiology and disease of living organisms. Researchers in the new center will develop algorithms, methods, tools, and resources that enable the analysis of large life science datasets. The aim is to come to a more comprehensive and integrated understanding of the molecular functioning of living organisms in health, disease, and/or stress conditions. The center will bring machine learning and deep learning approaches to the study of biological systems at the integrated level of molecules to cells to tissues and organisms. It will benefit from interdisciplinary collaborations and close interactions with the 9 existing thematic research centers of VIB.
As the center matures, it will also act as a key stakeholder for the VIB institutional data strategy. In partnership with the VIB Innovation & Business unit, the center will co-develop valorization strategies with opportunities for diagnosis and disease identification, personalized medicine, early-stage drug discovery, and more sustainable agriculture.
You will be appointed as center director at VIB. In addition, you will have a tenured position as a research professor at one of our partnering Flemish Universities.
You will provide vision and leadership to the research center, with responsibility for:
- developing a strategy for the center with 5 new PI’s to be recruited;
- creating a stimulating environment in terms of data technology, scientific interaction, and training of young scientists to nurture talent and trigger creative and innovative research;
- fostering a diverse and inclusive working environment through a constant eye for the well-being of all staff members;
- organizing and managing the research center in terms of science, tech transfer, logistics, finance, and human talent;
- building a VIB-wide community for computational and quantitative life science research;
- developing an institutional data infrastructure strategy together with the Head of the VIB Research data infrastructure facility, to enable big data science at VIB and beyond in a FAIR compliant way;
- aligning with existing AI-experts and -expertise in Flemish Universities.
You will maintain an independent research lab for which significant long-term support will be provided. You will be a member of the VIB Directors’ Committee in which you have co-responsibility for the overall success of VIB.
You will have the opportunity to teach elective courses at the partner university.
- experienced scientist, recognized in their academic field of research, with a publication record showing impactful science;
- successful in acquiring (international) funding for academic research;
- strong experience in research management and leading multi-stakeholder projects or programs;
- a track record of management in universities or research institutions is a plus;
- experience with science policy and technology transfer is an asset;
- didactical skills to teach university students.
Skills / Attitude
- a strong desire for developing a common vision and mission for VIB and the center;
- dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive working environment;
- excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills;
- quality-driven, people-oriented, strategic thinker.
- You hold a Ph.D. (thesis-based doctorate) or a diploma or certificate that is recognized as equivalent (Article V.20 Codex Higher Education).
The VIB-University package consists of:
- an appointment as full professor in a tenured position;
- a competitive salary commensurate with experience;
- complete social security, including pension scheme and health care program;
- a start-up package for your own research group, including funding for 5-10 positions for 5 years and beyond;
- access to the VIB core facilities: (deep) sequencing, transcriptomics, proteomics, single-cell omics, flow cytometry, bioinformatics, antibody, and protein production, bio-imaging, NMR, cryo-EM, compound screening, informatics training facility, etc. (see www.vib.be);
- access to novel disruptive big data generating technologies via the VIB Tech Watch program;
- research center grant: solid funding of the research center and its research groups, subject quinquennial reviews.
How to apply
Candidates who are interested in this position are asked to apply through Jobsoid and submit the following:
- a complete CV;
- a list of publications;
- a list of 5 selected publications and 5 software tools/data resources (if applicable), illustrating the candidate’s expertise and impact in the scientific community;
- a research statement describing the vision for future research (max. 5,000 words);
- a letter to the search panel describing the candidate’s qualifications as required to be selected for the job;
- a transcript of their doctoral degree. In case of a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French, or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages;
- a ‘Certificate of equivalence’ (NARIC; if already in the candidate’s possession): only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union.
The closing date for applications is December 31st, 2022.
For additional information about the profile and the assignment, please contact Christine Durinx, managing director VIB, at firstname.lastname@example.org or Marleen Vanstraelen, senior science policy manager VIB, at email@example.com.