The Laboratory of Interneuron Developmental Dynamics (headed by Lynette Lim) at the VIB Center for Brain & Disease in KU Leuven is located in the University Hospital Campus, Leuven, Belgium. Our lab is interested in the developmental programs that shape inhibitory circuits in the brain. Specially, we are interested in how distinct populations of inhibitory neurons are generated and mature to generate functional circuits. To this end, our work combines various interdisciplinary techniques such as mouse genetics, high content imaging, single-cell RNA sequencing, bioinformatics, and spatial transcriptomics technologies.
The Lim lab is looking for two full-time, highly motivated, and curious postdoctoral fellows with experience either in experimental neurobiology or computation approach in handling large datasets (from single-cell RNA/ATAC seq data). Candidates who exhibit strong interests and willingness to learn, or who are switching fields would be highly valued.
The selected postdoctoral fellow will work jointly with a research technician on an FWO Odysseus grant-funded project (5-year duration) to examine the role of metabolism in driving interneuron diversification. The postdoctoral fellow and research technician will be expected to work as a team and collaborate with other members of the lab. S/he will design, implement and evaluate experimental results.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Neuroscience, Quantitative Biology, or related field and willing to apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- The candidate should show a high level of curiosity for neuroscience and developmental biology.
- You are willing to learn new techniques and protocols.
- You have extensive experience in animal models. Experience in metabolomics would be a plus.
- You have experience with programming (R, Python, Matlab, etc).
- You are fluent in English (spoken and written).
- You have excellent interpersonal communication skills, and strong time-management skills.
- You must be very meticulous, proactive, independent, and self-motivated.
- You are a team player and can take responsibility.
- You are enthusiastic to be part of a dynamic and young research lab.
- Experience in single-cell sequencing is a plus.
- Experience in CRISPR/cas9/ human ES cell gene editing.
What we offer
- The initial appointment is for 2 years, with the possibility for an extension. The successful postdoctoral candidate will be strongly encouraged to apply for an external fellowship.
- Access to top state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Mentoring, supervision, and training to be the next generation scientist, inclusive of transferable skills training programs available through the Lim lab, VIB, and KU Leuven.
- Learn innovative techniques and tools, such as single-cell sequencing, spatial transcriptomics, gene editing, and developmental neurobiology
- A stimulating international research environment
- Starting date: Jan – March 2023
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool
Additional required information:
- detailed CV
- motivation letter describing your previous research experience
- names and contact information of at least 2 references
For more information or informal inquiry please contact Lynette Lim: firstname.lastname@example.org
Info about the lab and the center:
Interested in a virtual visit? Take a look inside our labs here: https://360.cbd.vib.be/en