The lab of Jeroen Raes (VIB, KU Leuven) is looking for a bioinformatician (Master level) who specialized in the computational analysis of microbiome data, with a particular emphasis on human-associated microbial communities in health and disease.
The candidate will work on data analysis in industrial partnerships of the Raes lab, and interact with industrial collaborators to report and discuss results and analysis strategies. Specifically, the candidate will focus on data mining in public and internal gut-associated metagenomic datasets for the in silico design of biotherapeutic bacterial communities, in collaboration with MRM Health, a recent spin-off company of VIB and ProDigest.
The candidate will be trained by experienced researchers in microbiome bioinformatics. The position is a full-time position, although tracks with 50/50 academic/industrial work can be discussed.
- Master's degree in bioinformatics or equivalent
- Excellent programming skills (Perl/Python/R), proficiency in Unix/Linux, and cluster experience
- Experience in omics data analysis (e.g. (meta)genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics data) is a plus
- Experience in microbial ecology and inference of microbial (metabolic) networks is a plus
- Experience in pipeline/package development and version control (GitHub) is a plus
- Experience in clinical data mining/machine learning, biomarker detection is a plus
The collaboration of VIB-KULeuven - MRM Health is an exciting opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary research team oriented to translational research, with a particular emphasis on clinical product development. We offer an environment with excellent facilities and interaction with leading scientist in bioinformatics, microbiome, and biomedical research at large.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.