VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, currently encompassing more than 1800 scientists over 5 universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position is within the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team of around 20 scientists and technicians, with a strong industry background, focusing on validation and translation of VIB scientific breakthroughs into drug discovery, and agro product, diagnostics, and biomarker projects.
VIB DS is looking to recruit a creative, independent, and self-motivated (Senior) Research Associate with relevant experience to strengthen its team in Leuven. You will be joining a high-performing multi-disciplinary team, contributing to translating novel scientific discoveries into early drug candidates and bringing your expertise to complement our capabilities.
- Development and establishment of cell-based and biochemical assays to support the progression of different drug discovery projects
- ·Screen and characterize drug leads in said assays
- Implement novel methodologies and techniques
- Analyze and interpret experimental data, perform statistical analysis
- Communicate results internally and write experimental reports
- General support to the lab and maintenance of lab supplies and stocks
- You have a (professional) bachelor´s or master´s degree in biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, laboratory, or biomedical sciences.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience is required. Experience in the industry is a plus, but not mandatory.
- You have solid hands-on experience in cell culture (cell lines, primary cells; stable cell-line generation; co-cultures systems; transfection) as well as in cell-based assay development such as reporter assay proliferation, toxicity, binding, functional, …
- Ideally, you have experience in plate-based (high-content) imaging for screening purposes.
- Additional knowledge of some of the following technologies would be an asset:
- FRET, BRET, HTRF & fluorescence polarization
- Flow cytometry
- ELISA or AlphaScreen
- Compound management
- Liquid handling Robot
- You have excellent organizational skills and can work in a team as well as independently.
- You can multi-task and meet timelines.
- You enjoy a dynamic and international environment.
- A sense of humor is highly recommended
- You have good social and communication skills in spoken and written English.
- Candidates are offered a full-time, open-ended contract, working from our site in Leuven;
- We provide a supportive, stimulating, and international environment with a clear focus on drug development, at the forefront of life sciences, in the best team ever.
- Total social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
Starting date: January/February 2023
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV