We are VIB. VIB is a life sciences research institute funded by the Flemish government. We work in close partnership with five Flemish universities – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University. Our dedicated Innovation & Business team translates VIB's scientific results into pharmaceutical, agricultural and industrial applications. Since its foundation in 1996, we have created 30 start-up companies. The link between basic research and valorization has made VIB a catalyst for the ever-growing biotech hotspot in Flanders.
The VIB Communications team coordinates communications strategy and ensures the global visibility of the institute's successes and activities. Currently, we are looking for an experienced Science Communications Expert to drive strategic communication plans for specific VIB research centers.
Are you passionate about life sciences research, the biotech industry, and communications? Are you ready to bring science and innovation closer to different audiences? Then come and join our Communications team!
What you'll do:
- Support and execute strategic communication plans to better position VIB as a world leader in life sciences
- Liaise with the VIB scientists, VIB Innovation and Business team on biotech and science communications matters
- Devise and produce proactive campaigns to target audiences relevant to VIB's research themes and life sciences industry audiences
- Develop and edit communication materials (news releases, presentations, articles, brochures, social media posts) on VIB's research centers and tech transfer activities for media, reports, newsletters, websites, and social media platforms.
- Represent VIB during visits of (international) academic delegations
- Actively participate in debates and give lectures
- Help in developing public engagement events
Who you are:
- You have a master’s or Ph.D. in biology, biotechnology, bioengineering, biomedical sciences, pharmacy, or equivalent
- You master the art of storytelling, and you have the ability to deep-dive into scientific content and turn complex scientific themes into fascinating stories
- You have a knack for public speaking, and you give compelling presentations for diverse audiences
- Experience in a communication team of a biotech/pharma organization is an asset
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills (Dutch and English)
We offer you:
- A full-time position in a professional and international work environment in a world-class scientific institute
- A compensation package based on expertise and experience
- Learning and development opportunities to broaden your expertise
- An extensive network of (inter)national contacts
- Flexibility regarding place of employment (Ghent or Leuven)
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.