This is an exciting and rare opportunity to lead one of the worlds leading microscopy facilities. VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The unique combination of strategic basic research and a clear focus on innovation & business is one of the major contributors to its success. VIB is highly committed to being the driving force behind the growth of the dynamic life sciences cluster in Flanders.
The VIB Technologies program constitutes the centralized scientific research infrastructure of the institute and allows scientists access to high-end and innovative technologies. The VIB Technologies comprises 10 state-of-the-art core facilities, each with a specific technology focus and located on the VIB premises in Ghent, Leuven, or Brussels https://vibcoreprogram.sites.vib.be/en. The role of these core facilities is to support the 1700 researchers at VIB with their expertise. Within VIB technologies we have over 100 staff members.
The VIB Bioimaging Core is a two-sited service platform with a location in Ghent and a location in Leuven. The core was established in 2012 and has instrumentation for both advanced light and electron microscopy and has been at the forefront of the development of Correlative Light and Electron Microscopy (CLEM) approaches to answer complex biological questions. A team of 18 talented microscopists use their expertise to consult, train and collaborate with users for experimental design, image acquisition and image analysis. The expertise in the core covers a broad range of technologies from advanced fluorescent functional imaging (FLIM, FRET, FRAP, …), live cell imaging, superresolution (deconvolution based methods, PALM, SIM) and 2D and 3D electron microscopy (serial sectioning SEM, SBF-SEM and FIB-SEM). All sample preparation infrastructure and expertise for chemical and HPF fixation based methods is present. The core also offers support for image analysis. This expertise is present throughout the entire team and a dedicated image analysis expert, offering advanced and tailored image analysis solutions. The core engages in several training efforts and national/international outreach activities for the imaging community.
We are looking for a Head of Core to safeguard and evolve the position of the Bioimaging Core as a world-leading facility. The Head of Core will have the end responsibility for all activities of the 2-sited Core Facility. The Head of Core will be supported by the skilled team (including senior staff with strong project management skills) and report to the VIB Technology Director.
- Safeguard the position of the facility as a world-leading facility
- Ensure that the Bioimaging Core activities are aligned between the two sites and with institutional policies and objectives
- Take on day-to-day operational management to ensure high-quality services
- Steer the team, take on all personnel-related matters, and motivate the team to stay at the forefront of technologies and applications
- Develop the core to exploit new technology and address the needs of the user base
- Design a future-proof strategic roadmap that includes timely technology implementations
- Identify and manage relevant development activities (i.e. method/application development)
- Maintain and set-up up smart partnerships and networks
- Experience as manager and team leader
- Good knowledge of cutting-edge microscopy techniques and applications
- Extensive expertise in microscopy
- Work experience in a multi-stakeholder environment
- Strong people, project & financial management skills
- Strong decision-making ability
- Strong communication skills
- Strong ability to negotiate
- Proficient in written and spoken English
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Self-motivated and a good team player
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.