The Translational Onco-genomics and Bio-Informatics lab (tobi.ugent.be) at the VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology is seeking for a postdoctoral fellow to join the team. The overarching aim of the TOBI-team is the development of analytical and bioinformatic pipelines for diagnostic, prognostic, and predictive analysis enabling more precise cancer management. Prof. De Preter is the principal investigator of the TOBI-team (https://depreterlab.sites.vib.be/en) and a member of the Cancer Research Institute Ghent (CRIG: https://www.crig.ugent.be/en/prof-katleen-de-preter-phd). Recently, an ERC consolidator grant (named EpiGuide) was awarded to her. This project aims to develop a novel minimal-invasive blood assay to monitor epigenetic mechanisms of therapy resistance. For this project, the team is looking for a talented and enthusiastic post-doctoral researcher.
About VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology
The VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology (CMB) focuses on the development of new and innovative molecular tools and technologies to challenge human health problems. The Center translates its novel technologies and insights to widely applicable research tools, vaccines, diagnostics, and biopharmaceuticals. Our research pushes the boundaries of biomolecular and bioinformatics research and engineering technologies. CMB educates and trains the next generation of medical biotechnology researchers and informs the public on the impact of biotechnology on human health.
- You will be involved in the optimization and implementation of an assay for monitoring epigenetic mechanisms of drug response. This work involves optimization of novel (single-cell) sequencing technologies on tissues and liquid biopsies, their validation in mice models, and application on patient samples.
- You will coordinate the sampling of mice models and the collection of patient samples.
- You will co-supervise graduate and Ph.D. students who collaborate on the research project.
- You will be primarily located at the TOBI lab at the VIB-UGent Center for Medical Biotechnology and will interact with multiple other research teams within the VIB and the Cancer Research Institute Ghent (https://www.crig.ugent.be/en) as well as international collaborating teams.
What we are looking for
- You hold a Ph.D. in life sciences (obtained max. 6 years ago).
- Experience in cancer research, (epi)genomics, transcriptomics, massive parallel sequencing, assay optimization, and omics data mining is required.
- You have excellent written and oral English skills, as evidenced by prior peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations.
- You are a talented and enthusiastic researcher, who is seriously motivated and has a sense of high professional standards.
- You are ambitious and passionate about research.
- You have performed impactful research.
- You have the ability to work autonomously while having strong team player skills.
- You are a fluent communicator.
- Experience in project writing and the successful achievement of grants is a plus.
- Experience in the supervision of graduate and Ph.D. students is a plus.
- Experience in mouse work is a plus.
What we can offer you
- We offer you a fixed-term contract with a maximum term of 3 years.
- Your contract will start on 1/02/2023 at the earliest.
- Participate in an exciting and rapidly evolving new research area within a multidisciplinary environment
- Become a member of an established leading research lab with a young, dynamic and enthusiastic research staff with great team spirit
- Access to "state-of-the-art" technology and facilities ((single-cell) sequencing, imaging, molecular biology, histology, bioinformatics, in vivo mouse modeling, etc).
- Embedded within top-research teams with a broad range of expertise.
Please apply online before the application deadline (10/01/2023). We do not accept late applications.
Your application must include the following documents:
- A cover letter, your CV
- Your diploma with the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French, or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- Optionally: a reference letter, …
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Katleen De Preter (firstname.lastname@example.org).