The VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is part of the VIB Life Sciences Institute and is embedded within the University of Leuven, which ranks among the world’s top 50 universities. At our Center, more than 300 researchers study the basic mechanisms of the central nervous system and related diseases.
The Laboratory of Computational Biology (www.aertslab.org) is looking for an expert in artificial intelligence. Our team works on deep learning applications for genomics and single-cell genomics, the integration of large datasets, and the interpretation of genomic variation in health and disease. Examples of recent deep learning models developed in the lab include DeepMEL and DeepMEL2, models trained on genomic regulatory sequences involved in melanoma skin cancer (Minnoye & Taskiran, Genome Research 2020; Kalender Atak & Taskiran, Genome Research 2021) and DeepFlyBrain, a deep learning model for gene regulation in the fruit fly brain (Janssens, Aibar & Taskiran, Nature 2022).
The candidate will develop new deep learning solutions, including convolutional neural networks, variational autoencoders, and generative adversarial networks, to build predictive models, particularly focused on cell type diversity in the brain and in cancer. These models will be used to gain mechanistic insight into normal and disease-related biological processes, hence the explainability of these models (XAI) is crucial. Depending on the interest, the candidate can be involved in projects related to evolution, regenerative medicine, and gene therapy. Finally, the position will allow exploring future interactions between neuroscience research and research in artificial neural networks.
- You obtained a Master's or Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence, Computer Science, Physics, Engineering, Bioinformatics, or equivalent.
- Proficient in Python programming
- Experience with machine learning (e.g., Tensorflow/Keras/PyTorch)
- Experience with explainable AI (e.g., SHAP) is a plus
- Experience with high-performance computing, software containers
- Experience with genomics is a plus, but not absolutely essential
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Access to state-of-the-art compute & GPU infrastructure
- A stimulating international research environment
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 3-year funding available
- Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include a detailed CV, two reference letters, and a motivation letter.
For more information: firstname.lastname@example.org