VIB is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University
The VIB CMN is one of nine research centers of the VIB. In VIB CMN, approximately 100 scientists work in the domain of complex neurological diseases of both the central and peripheral nervous system (https://uantwerpen.vib.be/). The VIB CMN has a Neuromics support facility focused on state-of-the-art high-throughput genomic analyses, bioinformatic support, and histological analyses. The University also has supporting central facilities amongst others for biomedical imaging and proteomics.
The research technician will be embedded in the Bio-Imaging Expert Unit and Neuromics Support Facility of the VIB CMN and work with dr. Asselbergh to provide expert support for Bio-Imaging operations.
Your tasks will include
- Operating and maintaining microscopy and histology instrumentation
- Providing technical leadership in microscopy sample preparation
- Technical support related to protein biomarker studies
- Organizing and managing shared lab resources and equipment
- Providing training and assistance in various projects within VIB CMN
- Performing image processing and analysis
- Combining various aspects of bio-imaging operations, including methods optimization, troubleshooting, and benchmarking.
- You have a professional or academic Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a life science or engineering discipline, or equivalent competences gained through prior work experience.
- Experience or very strong interest in microscopy, including sample preparation, instrumentation, and imaging data, and analysis
- Knowledge of histological sample procedures, immunohisto or -cytochemistry, mammalian cell culture, microscopy techniques, or digital imaging data and software are important assets
- Strong interest to be trained in experiments connected to protein biomarker research (antibody and nanobody production, quantitative analyses of proteins by ELISA or other methods,...).
- Eager to learn, flexible, and motivated to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment
- Analytical, able to troubleshoot, with a strong preference to work in a supporting role
- Proactive and able to work independently and within a team
- You are proficient in using computers, including standard applications (Windows, MS Office). Being acquainted with basic programming concepts is an asset.
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity, and cooperation.
What we offer
- An open-ended contract.
- An exciting opportunity to support highly motivated teams in an international life science research environment. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow further within the function, supported by sustained training.
- A wide range of fringe benefits (eco cheques, a bicycle allowance, or full reimbursement of public transport costs).
- An attractive holiday system.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this job through the online job application platform of VIB. Complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a motivation letter describing your interests and contact details of 2 references (if available)
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next step(s) in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org