About the lab
The Laboratory for Translational Genetics (headed by Prof. Diether Lambrechts) at the VIB Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) and KU Leuven University is at Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven. The Lambrechts lab has a dynamic research team leveraging cutting-edge technologies to tackle important questions in oncology by translating multi-omics data sets into clinically applicable knowledge. The implementation of both conventional bulk and single-cell technologies and the integration of single-cell multi-omics (RNA-seq, DNA-seq, proteomics, and spatial omics) datasets are revolutionizing cancer research. The Lambrechts’ Lab applies these technologies routinely to leverage the genetic and epigenetic annotation of tumors and their microenvironment to improve cancer prevention, diagnosis, prognosis, and therapy. The lab has longstanding ongoing collaborations with most oncologists at the University Hospital Leuven, positioning the lab at the center of translational cancer research in Leuven. The lab is funded by the ERC, the VIB, and other local charities and funding agencies.
VIB-KULeuven is an exciting, interdisciplinary research institute with excellent facilities and leading research groups in e.g., oncology, genetics/-omics, molecular biology, and translational research. The VIB -CCB is one of the research departments of VIB at KU Leuven which hosts 11 research groups, 1 Metabolomics Core facility, and about 200 researchers, and administrative and technical collaborators. The focus of the Center is to unravel the molecular basis of cancer, and whenever suitable, exploit these insights to develop novel therapeutic or diagnostic strategies. The center is currently looking for a dynamic and highly motivated Scientist in Bioinformatics to work in the Laboratory for Translational Genetics.
The successful candidate will perform informatics to solve biological questions and will be involved in:
- Building and applying bioinformatics pipelines in order to analyze high-throughput sequencing data with a strong focus on single-cell multi-omics but also whole-genome, whole-exome, methylation, and bulk RNA data;
- Statistical interpretation of multi-omics data;
- Quality control of multi-omics datasets
- Guiding biologists in analyzing their own data and performing statistical tests and pathway analysis;
- Exploring publicly available databases;
- Working with and managing big data;
- The creative visualization of the results;
- Using and maintaining high-performance computing clusters.
- You have obtained a Master’s degree in bioengineering, computer science, (bio)informatics, mathematics, or a related field;
- Experience with the analysis of any kind of sequencing data
- Experience with Linux systems, bash, R, Bioconductor, and statistics;
- Experience with high-performance computing, (multivariate) statistics, data analysis, Bayesian statistics, machine learning, data visualization, and big data management are an important asset;
- Python, Julia, or related programming languages and basic system administration skills are considered a plus;
- An strong interest to apply bioinformatics in the field of immunology and cancer research;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Oral and written English communication skills;
- You have a passion for bioinformatics and the motivation to work on innovative and ambitious projects in an open, dynamic, and skilled research team;
- Team player that can work independently in a multidisciplinary and multicultural team;
- Proactive, flexible, and problem-solving attitude;
- Experience in working with deadlines and being involved in multiple projects.
- A friendly, dynamic, and scientifically stimulating working environment, with a team of highly motivated international scientists
- (Early) access to state-of-the-art technologies.
- The ability to work on scientifically exceptional and high-impact, state-of-the-art projects.
- The opportunity to provide a meaningful contribution to genetic and oncological research.
- The University of Leuven is one of the most innovative universities in Europe. Leuven is located 20 min. from Brussels, in the center of Europe.
How to apply?
Please complete the online application procedure and include:
- A detailed CV, including a list of your scientific publications
- An elaborate cover letter describing your motivation
Read more about us: https://www.vibcancer.be/dieth...
For more information, please contact Diether Lambrechts: e-mail [email protected]