The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute located at the heart of a renowned plant biotechnology campus in Ghent, Belgium. Its mission is to unravel plant biological processes and translate this knowledge into value for society.
CRISPR/Cas9 technology is revolutionizing plant breeding. Due to high efficiency and simple design, CRISPR has brought genome engineering in reach of most academic labs. Genetic transformation of plants is however a major bottleneck in plant gene editing as it is used for delivery of the CRISPR tools. The Crop Genome Engineering Facility (CGEF) operates a maize genetic transformation platform and performs research to facilitate plant regeneration and improve CRISPR delivery.
The lab is located in Zwijnaarde where there are also greenhouses and growth facilities.
To support our maize transformation pipeline, we are looking for a Junior Research Technician.
- Support the maize plant transformation team
- Plant tissue culture (media preparation, in vitro techniques)
- Molecular cloning, Agrobacterium transformation
- Handling of plants in the greenhouse
- Genotyping (DNA extraction, PCR) Plan, perform and document experiments in an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN
- Professional Bachelor degree (laboratoriumtechnoloog)
- An interest in in vitro plant tissue culture work
- Theoretical knowledge and experience with molecular cloning
- Experience handling and growing plants in growth rooms or greenhouse is a plus
- Good command of English (oral and written)
- Proficient in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing
- Golden Gate and Gibson cloning techniques
- Experience working with crops (maize, soybean)
- Working with an Electronic Lab Notebook (ELN)
Key personal characteristics
- Passionate about science and genetic engineering
- Pro-active, problem-solver
- Patient and persistent to handle plant tissue culture
- Strong sense of responsibility, maintaining a clean working environment
- Eager to learn new concepts and techniques, flexible in working hours.
- Team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to accurately compile and document experiments
The 1-year laboratory technician position with the possibility of extension is available from 1/6/2023 with an internationally competitive salary and benefits.
How to apply?
Submit your application through the VIB application tool. Be sure it includes:
- A detailed CV
- A 1-page letter of intent describing your motivation for this position, your research experiences, and future goals.
- The names and contact details of two references
Emailed applications will not be considered