A postdoctoral position is available in the research group ‘Cellular and molecular (patho)physiology’ of Prof. Geert van Loo. The lab is part of the VIB Center for Inflammation Research (IRC), a VIB research department at Ghent University - Belgium.
The selected candidate will investigate the complex molecular mechanisms controlling intestinal homeostasis and pathology, using genetically modified mice. The research is part of the FWO-EOS HOMISTASIS project ‘Host-microbe interaction in intestinal homeostasis: unravelling the mechanisms involved in the onset of multiple inflammation-related diseases’. HOMISTASIS brings together scientists with complementary expertise in the fields of cell signaling, inflammation and immunity, metabolism, cancer, microbiology, and microbiome research.
- You hold a thesis-based doctorate (obtained max. 6 years ago) in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Medicine, or a related discipline;
- You have minimal 4 years of prior research experience in the fields of cell signalling, inflammation, and/or innate immunity;
- You have prior hands-on experience with in vivo mouse research, cell culture, and molecular biology techniques;
- You have excellent English speaking and writing skills;
- You have a Felasa C degree for laboratory animal experiments – or an equivalent degree.
Desirable but not required
- You have a track record of first-author publications in high-ranking peer-reviewed journals;
- You have experience with research on intestinal biology and intestinal diseases.
Key personal characteristics
- You are highly motivated and passionate about research;
- You are capable of working both independently and in a team;
- You have excellent communication skills.
- We offer you a contract of indefinite duration with a maximum term of 2 years.
- Your contract will start as soon as possible.
- A competitive salary and a wide range of benefits, such as training and education opportunities, a bicycle allowance, and eco vouchers.
- A multidisciplinary and highly stimulating and supporting international research environment.
- Access to state-of-the-art technologies and infrastructure.
- Various training opportunities, organized by UGent/VIB to broaden your expertise and skills.
How to apply?
Your application must include the following documents:
- Your CV and an overview of your study results (merged into one pdf file)
- Cover letter: your application letter in pdf format
- Diploma: a transcript of the required degree (if already in your possession). If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French, or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
- Eventually, a reference letter, an overview of your study results, …
As VIB and Ghent University maintain an equal opportunities and diversity policy, everyone is encouraged to apply for this position.
For more information about this vacancy, please contact Prof. Geert van Loo ([email protected])