VIB is a world-class life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, hosting more than 1800 scientists in over 5 universities. VIB has a long-standing and successful history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and new innovative biotech companies.
The current position is within the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a group of around 20 translational research scientists and technicians with a strong industry background. VIB DS focuses on the validation and translation of VIB scientific breakthroughs into drug, biomarker and diagnostics discovery projects to support new venture and licensing opportunities as part of the VIB Innovation & Business team.
In order to strengthen its team in Gent, VIB DS is looking to recruit a creative, proactive and self-motivated (Senior) Scientist with relevant industry experience in the field of protein and nanoparticle engineering for drug development. Interested candidates should have demonstrated familiarity with early CMC aspects of protein biologics (biophysical characterization, formulation and conjugation) and nanoparticles (design and characterization) for delivery of different drug modalities. You will be joining a high-performing multi-disciplinary team, contributing to translating novel scientific discoveries into early drug candidates and bringing your expertise to further strengthen our capabilities.
- To contribute to progression of internal drug discovery projects by providing protein and nanoparticle engineering expertise
- To independently design and execute experiments in the abovementioned field in a timely manner
- To act as accountable project leader for early-stage drug discovery programs
- To identify and implement opportunities in the abovementioned field and contribute to project proposal and grant writing
- To follow the latest state-of-the-art technology developments in the abovementioned field and implement these in VIB projects as appropriate and necessary.
- To present results and ideas to colleagues and external collaborators
- To contribute to the daily operational workload of the team
- To effectively communicate in English, both verbally and in writing
- At least 3-5 years of relevant industry experience in executing, designing and leading studies in the field of protein and nanoparticle engineering for drug development
- PhD or Master's degree in biotechnology, pharmacology, biochemistry or a related field
- Proven technical expertise and scientific knowledge in 3 out of 4 topics listed below:
- Biophysical characterization and analytics of (antibody-based) protein drug leads
- Buffer formulation and conjugation of (antibody-based) protein drug leads
- Design and optimization of nanoparticles for antisense, mRNA or SME drug delivery
- Any other complementary know-how relevant to early drug discovery
- Keen to learn new techniques, expand knowledge and take on responsibilities
- Project leadership experience in drug discovery is an absolute plus
- Experienced in project and grant proposal writing
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Meticulous, independent and self-motivated
- Solution-driven mindset
- Team player
- Sense of humor comes highly recommended
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory
- Candidates are offered a full-time (part-time can be an option), open-ended contract, mainly working from our site in Gent (although occasionally working at our Leuven site is encouraged)
- We provide a supportive, stimulating and international environment with a clear focus on drug development at the forefront of life science, in an awesome team
- Full social security, including pension scheme and health care program
Starting date: As soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online. A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- at least two references