The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology - Labs in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship holder in the field of Neuroimmunology.
The Mancuso lab uses CRISPR tools, iPSC and humanized mouse technology to unravel the role of microglia in Alzheimer’s disease and other neurodegenerative disorders.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center is part of VIB, a Life Sciences institute with colleague-researchers in neuroscience, cancer, biotechnology, structural biology, and immunology amongst others and an extensive set of core facilities and opportunities for technology transfer. The VIB-UAntwerp Center is also embedded within the University of Antwerp. The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university, offering an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students; conducting pioneering scientific research and playing an important service-providing role in society with more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries.
- You will work actively on the preparation and defence of a PhD thesis Neuroimmunology.
- You will investigate the role of microglia, the immune cells of the brain, in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer’s disease.
- You will use iPSC-microglia, in vivo xenotransplantation models as well as CRISPR technology and molecular biology techniques to unravel the molecular mechanisms by which microglia interact with neurons and other brain cells in health and disease.
- You will be part of the MIND lab, at the VIB-Center for Molecular Neurology.
- You will be expected to publish scientific articles and present in conferences the data related to the research project.
- You will carry out a limited number of teaching and research support tasks.
- You hold a Master's degree in Neuroscience, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry, or related topics, or you will have obtained it by the time you start work.
- You can demonstrate excellent study results.
- You have a background in cellular and molecular biology.
- Experience with iPSC, mouse work or bioinformatics will be considered as additional strengths.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You have good oral and written communication skills in English
What we offer
- We offer a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years. Following a positive evaluation, the scholarship can be renewed once for another two-year period.
- The planned start date is as soon as possible.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for doctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will receive ecocheques, an internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
You can apply for this vacancy by completing the online application form. Be sure to include the following attachments:
- a detailed academic CV
- a letter of motivation explaining why you are interested in our work and aspire to this position
- the names and contact details of 2 references
The selection committee reviews all applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision is made, we will notify you. If you are still eligible after the pre-selection, you will be informed about the possible next step(s) in the selection procedure.
If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to [email protected]. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact [email protected]
For more information about our research center and lab Mancuso lab - Home (vib.be)