About the Lab
The lab of Jeroen Raes (VIB, KU Leuven) is home to a vibrant, dynamic and international group of researchers in the field of gut microbial ecology and its clinical applications. Beyond our expertise in bioinformatics and metagenomic analysis we offer hands-on clinical experience through cohort studies.
Furthermore, the lab also hosts state-of-the-art facilities dedicated to the cultivation and analysis of colon bacteria in order to study their physiology, function and interactions. We are also a member of VIB.AI, the newly founded center for artificial intelligence applications in the life sciences and have access to its state-of-the-art high-throughput computing facilities.
We are looking for a motivated postdoctoral researcher interested in studying human-associated microbial communities in health and disease. The ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- A PhD degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, human microbiota, microbiology or other relevant areas and/or comparable expertise (e.g from industry).
- Demonstrated expertise in omics data analysis, for example with (meta)genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics, single cell and/or genotyping data. Microbial expertise is a plus but not required.
- Experience in molecular biology techniques for processing and analysis of DNA and RNA is a plus but no requirement.
- Microbiology techniques and microfluidics are a plus but no requirement.
We value diversity in skill sets and encourage applicants with a keen interest in contributing to groundbreaking research at the intersection of bioinformatics, microbiome science and human health.
We look for applicants with an excellent publication track record (or equivalent experience) and strong scientific drive. We provide a stimulating and supportive environment to help you continue pursuing your scientific career. More info and application: https://raeslab.sites.vib.be/e...
VIB-KULeuven is an exciting, interdisciplinary research institute with excellent facilities and leading research groups in e.g. gastroenterology, oncology, immunology, microbiology & virology, clinical genetics/-omics, molecular biology and translational research. The Raes lab has a long track record in microbiota research and prides itself on excellent publication records for a majority of lab members.
We are located at the Gasthuisberg Hospital campus of the KU Leuven (Fac. of Medicine) and have on-site robotic sample processing, high-throughput computing resources as well as next-generation sequencing and anaerobic microbiology facilities.
You can build upon significant lab resources as well as guidance from a multidisciplinary team of students and postdocs. Interested? Check out our laboratory and publications on https://raeslab.sites.vib.be/e... and/or https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Ff13MYIAAAAJ
How to apply?
Interested candidates should apply online. Additional requirements:
- Please upload a letter stating your reasons for your interest in the current position.
- Please add the contact details of two references of people you collaborated with professionally for at least 8 months.
Our lab greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone feels welcome and respected.