The Laboratory of Interneuron Developmental Dynamics (headed by Lynette Lim) ) is part of the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research and is located on Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium. Our lab is interested in the developmental programs that shape inhibitory circuits in the brain. Specifically, we are interested in how distinct populations of inhibitory neurons are generated and how these cells mature to generate functional circuits. To this end, our work combines various interdisciplinary techniques such as mouse genetics, high-content imaging, single-cell RNA sequencing, bioinformatics, and spatial transcriptomics technologies.
The Lim lab is looking for a full-time, highly motivated, curious, and resilient postdoctoral fellow with experiences either in experimental developmental neurobiology, molecular biology, or computation approaches in handling large datasets (from single-cell RNA/ATAC seq data). Candidates who exhibit strong interests and willingness to learn, or who are switching fields would be highly valued. We are looking for people who love to solve problems.
The selected postdoctoral fellow will design, implement novel screening approaches, and evaluate experimental results. S/he will also work jointly with other team members and Lim lab’s collaborators.
- PhD in Biology, Neuroscience, Quantitative Biology, or related field and willing to apply for a postdoctoral fellowship.
- Candidate should show a high level of curiosity for neuroscience and developmental biology
- willingness to learn new techniques and protocols
- extensive experience in animal model would be a plus.
- You have experience with programming (R, Python, Matlab, etc), or willingness to jump into it
- You are fluent in English (spoken and written).
- You have excellent interpersonal communication skills, and strong time-management skills.
- You must be very meticulous, proactive, independent, and self-motivated.
- You are a team player and can take responsibility.
- You will be expected to write a grant or fellowship jointly with the PI.
- You are enthusiastic to be part of a dynamic and young research lab.
- Experience in single-cell or bulk DNA/ RNA sequencing
- Experience with machine learning image processing approaches
- Experience in CRISPR/cas9/cas12a for human ES cell gene editing or in vivo screening designs
What we offer
- The initial appointment is for 2 years, with the possibility for extension. The successful postdoctoral candidate will be strongly encouraged to apply for external fellowship.
- Access to top state-of-the-art infrastructure
- Mentoring, supervision, and training to be the next generation scientist, inclusive of transferable skills training programs available through the Lim lab, VIB and KU Leuven.
- Learn innovative techniques and tools, such as single-cell sequencing, spatial transcriptomics, gene editing and developmental neurobiology
- A stimulating international research environment
- Starting date: Flexible – as early as May 2024
How to apply?
Please use the VIB HR Application tool
Additional required information:
- detailed CV
- motivation letter describing your previous research experience
- names and contact information of at least 2 references
For more information or informal inquiry please contact Lynette Lim: [email protected]
info about the lab and the center:
- Find out more about the Lim lab: https://limlab.sites.vib.be/
- Connect through our LinkedIn page
- Discover the Center by visiting the website or looking around in our virtual tour
- Follow the Center on social media: Facebook, Instagram and Twitter