The VIB Bioinformatics Core is hiring an enthousiastic ELIXIR trainer to
expand the training program and establish the data science curriculum of ELIXIR
Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
Based on your experience in data science and life sciences and in collaboration with the Training Coordinator of ELIXIR-BE, you will develop and organise several new training sessions including online training material. To successfully accomplish your program, you will scout potential (bio)informatics trainers, guide them in setting up a successful training session and take the final responsibility of the execution and followup of training sessions. You will also have the opportunity to give training sessions of your own (preferentially in data science related topics) and to explore new ways of training methods.
To keep up your skills in the fast evolving area of data science and bioinformatics, part of your time will be dedicated to specific projects in these topics. You will continue to establish connections to international trainers (e.g. www.elixireurope.org/platforms/training), and work on the visibility of the VIB Bioinformatics Core and ELIXIR Belgium, towards the institute and towards the world.
You can count on administrative and communication support, and the assistance of two bioinformatics trainers as colleagues to succeed. You will be employed in the VIB Bioinformatics Core of VIB (https://www.bits.vib.be). Delivering training is one of our major activities, besides software development and providing bioinformatics software to VIB scientists.
- You have a university degree in Sciences (Bioinformatics/Computer Sciences or similar)
- A broad view of current data science evolutions
- Specific hands-on skills in a subdomain of data science and data analytics
- Strong organizing skills
- Techsavvy (python, docker, github, etc.)
- Experience with cloud computing (Amazon, EGI Cloud, etc.)
- Good communication and teaching skills
- Fluently understanding and speaking English
Key personal characteristics:
- People-centered with focus on service delivery
- No problem with traveling within Flanders frequently
A fulltime position for 2 years initially. Prolongation is envisaged depending on the successful granting of an international project.