The Center for Cancer Biology (CCB) is one of the research departments of VIB (Vlaams Instituut Biotechnologie) located in KU Leuven – Campus Gasthuisberg. CCB hosts 12 research groups with an employment of about 250 researchers, administrative and technical collaborators.
The laboratory of Professor Peter Carmeliet is especially focusing on the development of blood vessels (Angiogenesis) and vascular metabolism, and consists of 60 driven researchers and lab technicians. The Lab is looking for a dynamic and highly motivated PhD student to join the team.
The focus of the lab is to characterize the regulation of cell metabolism and to determine the role of metabolism during the process of angiogenesis. Angiogenesis, the growth of new blood vessels, plays a crucial role in numerous diseases, including cancer. Inhibiting the formation of vessels within the tumor (anti-angiogenic therapy) has emerged as a promising anti-cancer strategy. Clinically approved anti-angiogenic drugs offered prolonged survival to numerous cancer patients. Unfortunately, monotherapy with the current available anti-angiogenic agents often results in the development of treatment resistance. Thus, novel strategies are needed to block tumor angiogenesis via alternative mechanisms. The tight interaction between blood vessels that provide metabolic substrates, and the tumor cells that utilize them, leads to the obvious link between metabolism and angiogenesis, surprisingly this has not been studied so far. Recent studies from the lab revealed that targeting endothelial metabolism could be a possible alternative therapeutic strategy for anti-angiogenic therapy. In this perspective, we are aiming to investigate several metabolic pathways in different models of angiogenesis.
You are responsible for:
- Leading your research project, under the direct supervision of Prof. Carmeliet and motivated postdoctoral fellows
- Participate in weekly team meetings to update your research results
- Participate in high-level seminars
- You have a Master degree in biomedical sciences, bio-engineering, medicine or any related discipline
- Any experience in molecular biology, biochemistry, cell culture, cancer/metabolism, etc. is an advantage
- Motivated students with a strong commitment to basic and/or clinical research are invited to apply
- You should have well-developed social skills, a hands-on attitude and be able to work in a team
- You have good communication skills in spoken and written English (proven knowledge of English is required, TOEFL test)
- Excellent training conditions within a team of experts in the field of angiogenesis and metabolism
- Access to state-of-the-art technologies in biomedical research
- The opportunity to be part of a multidisciplinary international cutting edge research lab (with English as main language) and working on high-impact projects
- The initial appointment is for one year starting as soon as possible and with possibility for extension.
How to apply?
Your online application should
- Motivation letter
- Publication list (if applicable)
- Summary of your previous research experience
- Degrees during Master studies
- Reference letter(s) from previous (master thesis) promoter and/or supervisors.