VIB encourages and supports risk taking, and enables collaborations with top scientists and institutes world-wide. By maintaining the highest standards of research, VIB creates an innovative atmosphere and provides a supportive and collaborative environment that allows the scientists to launch novel and ambitious research programs and encourages them to translate results into novel therapeutics, diagnostics, applications and technologies.
Our institute greatly values diverse standpoints and promotes an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected.
The VIB-KULeuven Center for Cancer Biology (CCB), located on the Campus Gasthuisberg of the University of Leuven, contributes to the better understanding of the biology that underlies cancer initiation, progression and metastatic dissemination with the ultimate goal to develop more effective and specific anti-cancer (combination) therapies. CCB is currently composed of more than 200 scientists in 12 independent research groups and units. Our scientific interest in various hallmarks of tumors and their microenvironment, including angiogenesis, inflammation, metabolism, genetic and epigenetic regulating circuits. CCB fosters an interdisciplinary environment and close cooperation with the Comprehensive Cancer Center LKI and the Hospital, both located on the same campus, to promote translational research.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic group leader with expertise and an impactful track record in cancer immunology with a preferable focus on the adaptive immune system and interest to implement novel immunotherapeutic strategies.
The new group leader will introduce cutting-edge technologies and experimental model systems in the field of immuno-oncology at VIB-KU Leuven. He/She will be expected to develop ground-breaking scientific programs addressing fundamental research questions and should at the same time be interested in seeking opportunities to translate her/his findings into potential industrial applications and/or clinical benefit for patients.
- Published impactful research, demonstrating creativity and scientific quality
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary mindset
- Experience in coaching and mentoring is a highly valued asset
- A challenging position in a supportive and international research environment with committed peers (this includes a mentoring program and a Group Leader coaching track)
- An employment package that is attractive internationally and that is independent of research funding and grants
- Substantial core research funding (€1.25M to €1.5M), renewable every 5 years
- Access to top-notch core facilities including single cell genomics and bioinformatics, metabolomics, next generation sequencing, mouse genomic engineering and animal housing, histopathology, light and electron microscopy, FACS.
- Collaborative atmosphere with clinicians from the University Hospital UZ Leuven located on the same campus.
- Assistance with daily life issues such as relocation including visa application (if necessary), move & housing, school & day care
Start date: in the course of 2018
How to apply
Please apply online. Required documents: motivation letter, full CV, a two page statement of your past achievements and future research plan, list of publications and contact details of 4 referees
Application deadline: October 15, 2017.
Suitable applicants will be invited to CCB to present a seminar on their achievements and future research. The visit will also include interviews with group leaders of CCB and KU Leuven as well as with VIB and KU Leuven key people.
For more information
Leuven - only 20 minutes away from Brussels by train - is a vivid university city with a rich history, a well-preserved historical town center and a lively multi-cultural atmosphere. The city is surrounded by charming small villages, woods and nature. Leuven has a lively atmosphere because of the many students from all over the world.
Leuven is home to the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, the largest and oldest university of the Low Countries and the oldest Catholic university still in existence. The related university hospital of UZ Leuven is one of the largest hospitals in Europe.
Leuven and the surroundings are a great place for young people and families to live and to raise children. There are many excellent day care centers and schools including an international school.