About the Lab
The Laboratory of Sleep and Synaptic Plasticity at the VIB-KU Leuven Center for Brain & Disease Research is seeking a highly-motivated postdoc candidate, with an excellent record in critical thinking to join our lab. We employ multi-disciplinary approaches, including Drosophila genetics, quantitative fly behavior analysis, electrophysiology, and neural circuit mapping and manipulation, to understand the molecular and cellular basis of sleep and its function in the brain.
The successful candidate will investigate the roles of sleep in synaptic plasticity in flies and the molecular and cellular mechanisms underlying these sleep-dependent processes. The postdoc will also have considerable freedom to develop their own projects in line with lab interests.
For more information: http://www.flysleeplab.com
Liu, S.*, Liu, Q.*, Tabuchi, M., and Wu, M.N. (2016). Sleep Drive is Encoded by Neural Plastic Changes in a Dedicated Circuit. Cell 165, 1347-1360. (Previewed in Cell) (Recommended by Faculty of 1000).
Tabuchi, M., Monaco, J.D., Duan, G., Bell, B., Liu, S., Liu, Q., Zhang, K., and Wu, M.N. (2018). Clock-Generated Temporal Codes Determine Synaptic Plasticity to Control Sleep. Cell 175, 1213-1227. (Previewed in Cell)
- A PhD degree (or will obtain one in 2019) in any field of neurobiology (molecular, cellular, system, developmental or neuroethology) or related disciplines.
- A good track-record of publications.
- With strong critical thinking skills.
Desirable but not required:
- Strong hands-on experience with one of the following technical skills: slice/in vivo patch-clamp recordings; single-channel recordings; in vivo/volumetric functional imaging; 3D CLEM and neuronal tracing.
- Previous research experience with Drosophila neurobiology is a plus but not required.
Key personal characteristics:
- Positive, proactive, flexible, eager to learn.
- A versatile and challenging job with very diverse interactions in a world-class research environment, and various opportunities to broaden your expertise.
- Excellent training in both technical and career skills.
- A creative and collaborative environment with access to state-of-the-art facilities in the institute (including super-resolution microscopy, and block-face scanning EM, etc.).
How to apply?
Interested candidates please send:
- a cover letter including previous research experience and motivation
- a detailed CV
- contact information for 3 references
For more information please contact: email@example.com