Recently, initiatives have been taken at diverse levels to initiate, promote and implement Open Science and Open Data. At the European level, the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) comprises the vision of the European Commission for research. The implementation of EOSC relies on the infrastructure and services present and being developed in the Member States. The European Research Infrastructures (ESFRIs) as well as the e-Infrastructures play a central role in these plans.
Flanders will install a Flemish Open Science Board (FOSB), tasked with driving the Open Science policies. VIB and VLIZ (Flanders Marine Institute) have been mandated by the Flemish government to explore how collaboration between Flemish research infrastructures (ESFRIs) can be promoted and increased. VLIZ is involved in three ESFRI projects (ICOS, EMBRC and LifeWatch), the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology coordinates ELIXIR Belgium.
ELIXIR is the European life-sciences infrastructure for biological information. ELIXIR brings together bioinformatic tools, resources and experts into a distributed infrastructure that enables researchers across Europe to share and analyze their life-science research data. The Belgian ELIXIR node focuses on infrastructure for data management and data analysis for life-sciences.
In this project we will explore how we can meet the needs regarding Open Science in life sciences and environmental sciences through increased collaboration between the research infrastructures active in Flanders.
To come to a comprehensive overview of the needs and challenges in life-sciences and environmental sciences, and in order to identify synergies and common solutions as well as areas requiring domain specific solutions, we are hiring a Project Manager. In this role, you
- will chart the landscape of data platforms currently in use by the involved ESFRIs
- will identify potential synergies, and develop and initiate an action plan for increased collaboration between ESFRIs in Flanders,
- will transfer knowledge to both researchers, management and policy level,
- will organise user-oriented meetings and knowledge exchange meetings with policy makers
- will work closely with the equivalent person in VLIZ and the ELIXIR Belgium team
- will shape the contribution of Flanders to the developing European Open Science Cloud
- Master or PhD degree with a background in life-sciences or computational sciences
- Proven experience of collaborative research, research management and project management skills
- Experience with life-sciences data is a plus
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing in English
- Able to meet deadlines and manage priorities to handle a diverse workload
- Positive and enthusiastic personality
- A fulltime position for 2 years initially, prolongation is envisaged
- Participation in the building of a user-friendly ecosystem of platforms for data management and data-analysis open to all researchers
- An exciting international environment, engaging with the large life-sciences network across Europe
- Work place is the VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (Ghent, Belgium)
About the institute
The ELIXIR consortium is a European research infrastructure which unites life-science research groups. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources from the different member states.
The VIB-UGent Center for Plant Systems Biology (PSB) is a world-leading plant science institute with the mission to integrate genetics, genomics, phenotyping and bio-computing to unravel the biology of plants and to further explore the potential of plants to build a sustainable world.
The bioinformatics research groups at PSB develop novel software and web tools for the integration of large-scale data sets in the area of genomics, transcriptomics and phenomics for which an extensive computational infrastructure is available on site. PSB coordinates the Belgian ELIXIR Node, more information on https://www.elixir-belgium.org.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.