VIB is life science research institute in Flanders, Belgium, counting more than 1500 scientists. VIB has a long-standing history of translating scientific breakthroughs into impactful societal innovations and biotechnology companies.
The current position is in the VIB Discovery Sciences (VIB DS) unit, a translational research team with a strong industry background, focusing on validation and translation of scientific breakthroughs into drug and agro product discovery projects. Its projects are run in close collaboration with VIB’s academic scientists, core technology facilities and Innovation and Business Unit as well as external partners.
VIB DS is looking to recruit a creative, energetic and self-motivated Expert Scientist with proven industrial experience to strengthen its team in Leuven and Gent. You plan and drive translational research projects, aimed at developing lead candidates (biologics, small molecules or other modalities) and further pharmacological target validation as the basis of deal making and/or investments. You are responsible for managing the collaborations with partners and setting out experimental strategies. Hands-on experimental work, involvement in daily operations and fund-raising for your translational projects are expected. You should have a solid background in leading, designing and executing studies in the early stages of drug discovery.
- Applicants must have at least 2 years of industry-relevant experience in drug discovery and PhD or equivalent degree.
- Team player, applying your expertise to drive projects spanning a wide area of diseases with a high unmet need (oncology, inflammation, neuroscience and infections).
- Familiar with project, stakeholder and budget management.
- Solid background in some of the following aspects is highly desirable.
- Discovery of biologics, small molecule or other therapeutic modalities
- Pre-clinical in vivo pharmacology
- Protein engineering
- In vitro assay design and validation
- Demonstrated experience in writing project and grant proposals.
- Experience in supervising lab technicians.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Meticulous, independent and self-motivated.
- Solution-driven mindset.
- Keen to learn new techniques, expand knowledge and take on responsibilities.
- Sense of humor highly recommended.
- Fluency in English (verbally and in writing) is mandatory.
Candidates are offered a full-time, open-ended contract. The position can be either Leuven- or Gent-based but a presence of at least 50% at our Leuven site is required.
We provide a supportive, stimulating and international environment with a clear focus on drug development, at the forefront of life science, in the best team ever.
Total social security, including pension scheme and health care program.
Starting date: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Motivated candidates should apply online.
A complete application file (English) should contain the following documents:
- your cover/motivation letter
- your CV
- 2 references