VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. More specifically, the Core strives to increase the quality, standardisation, reproducibility, and efficiency across the data life cycle - from project planning and data acquisition to knowledge generation, and publication and archiving of the research data according to FAIR principles.
The VIB Data Core works closely together with experts from the ELIXIR consortium, a European research infrastructure that unites Europe’s leading life-science organisations. The core team of the Belgian ELIXIR Node, which is embedded in the Core, has been active in providing platforms and guidance for research data management and reproducible data analysis. The ELIXIR Belgium consortium also brings domain-specific applications to researchers assisting them to interpret and annotate data.
We are looking for a Communication Officer to create and distribute content and build connections with the life-sciences community.
As Communications Officer you are responsible for the online and offline visibility of the VIB Data Core and ELIXIR Belgium. With your smooth pen, you manage to easily describe complex topics and adapt the message according to the public and communication platform. You will also create a wide range of graphics and illustrations to convey ideas and information.
As a Communication Officer you will:
- Develop attractive content and key messages for website, newsletters, press releases, and social media
- Create explanatory graphics, illustrations, and videos
- Manage our social media channels
- Assist in the organisation and coordination of outreach events
- Collaborate closely with the VIB Data Core team and build relationships with the bioinformatics community
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in life sciences, technology, or communications, or equivalent through experience
- Proven experience in writing skills and the creation of visuals
- English language fluency: you need to have excellent written and spoken English
- Copywriting skills: you’re good at spelling, grammar, and proof-reading, and you have a creative flair for producing engaging copy
- Presentation skills: from communicating ideas to your team to presenting stories to external stakeholders, you need to organise information in a succinct and interesting way to capture their attention
- Experience in managing social media channels such as Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and manage priorities
- Ability to work both independently as well as in a team
- Mastering Dutch is an asset
- Experience with the graphic design platform Canva is an asset
- Knowledge of open science and open data and its terminology is an asset
- An open-ended contract
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise, and benefits
- An innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB and the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe
- Opportunities for personal development
- Workplace is located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking, with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office
How to apply?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including CV and letter of motivation, through Jobsoid.