About the VIB-VUB Center for Structural Biology (CSB)
Bridging molecular and cellular resolution. At CSB, we study the structure and dynamics of macromolecular complexes in health and disease to explain their mode of action. We integrate our structural biology work with genetic and cellular studies, aiming to bridge molecular and cellular resolution. We excel in translating our discoveries into biotechnological and medical applications.
About the Steyaert lab
Engineering Nanobodies for Structural Biology, Molecular Pharmacology and Drug Discovery. The Steyaert lab (www.steyaertlab.brussels) pioneered the use of Nanobodies in X-ray crystallography and cryo-EM, aiming at the highest hanging fruits in structural biology including membrane proteins, amyloidogenic proteins, and (transient) multiprotein complexes. In parallel, we engineer Nanobodies for applications in biotechnology, molecular pharmacology, drug discovery and therapy.
A track record in tech transfer. In 2002, our lab co-founded Ablynx (now a Sanofi company). Ablynx is engaged in the development of proprietary therapeutic Nanobodies. In 2013, we co-founded AgroSafve, now Biotalys. Biotalys employs an Nb-based platform to develop biopesticides for the control of pests and diseases on crops and harvested products. In 2015, we created Confo Therapeutics. Confo Therapeutics employs proprietary Nanobody technology to lock inherent unstable functional conformations of GPCRs as a superior starting point for drug discovery.
Spinning out a new integrated drug discovery company. The Steyaert lab aims to spin out a new integrated drug discovery company based on novel proprietary applications of Nanobodies, focusing on the discovery and development of novel first-in-class drugs to treat auto-immune diseases and cancer.
Building the founding team of a new drug discovery company. In the past years, the Steyaert lab (www.steyaertlab.eu) developed innovative technologies for discovering Nanobodies with unique biophysical properties that open doors to new ways of therapeutic intervention in cancer and auto-immune diseases. We are currently strengthening the founding team of a new spin-off company and are recruiting technicians, masters and postdocs for building a reliable, creative, and committed team for turning basic science into value for society. Successful candidates will initially work at the Steyaert lab and join the new company when it moves to our new bio-incubator on the VUB campus in Etterbeek (Brussels area).
- You are a lab technician or have a scientific degree in life sciences (BSc, MSc, MD, or PhD).
- You are interested to work at the interface of performing basic research and early drug discovery in a small biotech R&D environment.
- You are open-minded, flexible, creative and cooperative, ready to be involved in building a new biotech company and make the next steps in your career.
- Proficiently in written and spoken English
Desirable but not required
- A scientific background in specific therapeutic areas, especially immunology or oncology are an asset
- Practical experience in cellular biology, structural biology or biophysics is a plus.
- Experience in the biotech industry is also welcomed.
- An immediate start and work on exciting drug discovery programs
- A working climate where trust, (international) collaboration, and commitment are highly qualified
- A competitive salary and benefits with the perspective to transition to a new biotech startup
- Access to state-of-the-art tools and infrastructure
- A stimulating and supportive international research environment
- The opportunity of being involved in laying the foundations of a new company
- The possibility to make the next step in your career
How to apply?
Motivated candidates are asked to apply online.
For more information or questions, please contact Jan Steyaert.